[TenTec] Orion Interfacing

George Skoubis george.skoubis at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 00:57:30 EDT 2004

Mark,

  Thanks!! I use a TenTec Titan I amp so I'm using the key en and key
out jacks and just use the TenTec QSK so I don't have to worry about PTT
for CW in the "other" manufacturers method of keying...

  You suggestion of looking at the software configuration worked... This
took care of my problem...

  I'm using N1MM Logger as my software right now.  I normally use
Writelog but haven't paid to update to the latest version since I just
bought my radio (and spent the same amount on new living room furniture
for my wife's compensation purchase which will arrive Friday).

  In a few weeks I'd like to purchase Carl / N4PY's Orion control
program (which will also let me interface with Logger32 my everyday
logging program as well as pay for the upgrade of Writelog (my version
worked well with the Omni VI+ but won't control the Orion).

  In case anyone else wants to setup their Orion / N1MM software the
same way I did here is the procedure...

  Setup the CW key as DTR (serial port pin 4) in the N1MM Config /
Config Ports / Hardware Tab / Set the CW menu choice for the interface
com port to DTR (Pin 4).

  Then in the MMTTY Setup / Setup MMTTY / TX Tab / Radio command button
I checked the PTT button under DTR/RTS.

  Now when I am in FSK or SSB mode the program uses the PTT input to key
the rig, when I am in CW mode the program uses the PTT as the CW key...

  I'll have to check out if Writelog can do this before I pay for the
upgrade.

  I'll need to buy Carl / N4PY's program to get the Orion to interface
with Logger32 but since it uses MMTTY as the RTTY enging I think I can
leave the PTT circuit to use the DTR pin when running FSK as well.

Thanks to all of you who made suggestions...

73 de George / KF9YR