[TenTec] OMNI VI+ audio

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 23:28:19 EDT 2004

Hi,

I don't know what the percentage is.  Thanks to N1EU for clarification on
the Omni VI+ rx bandwidth.  I either never knew or had forgotten that, and I
assume it applies to the Omni VI option 3 also.  Don't know about the VI and
VI/1 and 2.

Firstly, my 6 KHz rx bandwidth remark was not intended to imply that
transmitting stations are that wide, although some can be.  That happens to
be my rx bandwidth of preference but I narrow it if there are nearby
stations.  When the band is quiet I can open it on rx to 12 KHz which, as a
side benefit, allows me to keep informed of what's happening in the
neighborhood without the benefit of a bandscope.  What passband selections
there are depends on the rig.  So, in a relatively unoccupied area of a band
with the preamp off it is a nice listening experience.  Not so nice under
crowded condx and obviously not workable in a contest or pileup where
enhanced audio would be  pointless anyway.  Those are the situations where
the <= 2.7 filters come in.  And as you mentioned, if the tx station is
running stock audio, the wider bandwidth doesn't do much.  Otherwise, I can
get lows down to 20 Hz, and the top can go to 3.2+ KHz so you get a nice
bass sound on the right speaker and brighter highs instead of being cut out.
  I had a ham visit me not too long ago and we listened to such a station
and his comment was that he felt as if he was listening to a FM broadcast
station.  It is really amazing to get that quality on a SSB signal without
the inefficiency of a carrier and second sideband.

73,

Rob/K5UJ