[TenTec] 450 Ohm feedline

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Fri Apr 16 12:15:37 EDT 2004

Bob wrote:

> Regarding twisting the feed-line, why do you suppose the phone company
> called it "a twisted pair"?  Answer: because that what it was and it was
> used to maintain symmetry and thus reduce induced voltage from overhead
> power lines.  Same applies here.

I'm an old Bell Labs engineer, and I can recall being taught in our "CDT"
(Communications Development Training) courses that the pairs were twisted to
cut down on the cross talk from other pairs bundled into the same cable.
I'm sure it helped for power line induced voltage as well though.

Jim, W8KGI