[TenTec] 450 Ohm feedline tuners

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Sat Apr 17 20:43:02 EDT 2004

OK Bob, I agree that your suggested dual-inductor box will match the
ballanced line, but what about the "filter" part?  The Link-coupled (like
the Johnson and the Annecke) and the Z-match are true bandpass filters and
aid the receiver's front-end.  How does your suggested matchbox perform
here? I suppose as a ham I should know the answer to that question but I
must admit I don't.

To construction, where do you find components to gang-tune the roller
inductors?

I've built several tuners in my career, but most people want to buy them.
My enquiry here is not for my personal use but for those many who are always
asking me where to get a good symmetrical tuner like my BIG Annecke.  The
answer "build it yourself" sounds nice, but at the end of the day, most
people either can not or don't want to build it.

Now some of the American companies are advertising "Ballanced Tuners".  My
question is, are they any good.  So far nobody has even been able to tell me
what type of circuit the things run.  I can speculate, but I will never make
a recomendation to anyone based on speculation.

Personally, I think that if I were going to build another parallel tuner,
before I use ganged roller inductors, I'd build the single-coil Z-Match
described by Lloyd Butler, VK5BR, on his web page (
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/ldbutler/SingleCoilZMatch.htm ).  It seems
easier to find parts for, cheaper, and it is indeed a bandpass filter.

It just seems odd that nobody ever thought of copying the old Johnson Viking
Matchbox, or better yet, the Annecke.  With 9 shortwave bands, the need for
an all-band solution is greater today than it was in the 60's.

73
Rick