[TenTec] Re: Orion - Jupiter Microphone Connections

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Mon Apr 19 14:14:47 EDT 2004

Well, it's interesting that this subject has just come up, because I am
in the midst of trying to wire up a D104 to use with the Orion.  I got
off  on the wrong foot because I didn't have the addendum that corrected
the wiring errors shown in the manual.  Since the instructions didn't
make sense to me, I wired it up the way I thought it should work, and my
audio was attenuated, tinny and the PTT had about a 1/2 second delay
before the audio came on.  Consequently, I wrote TT service and received
the following reply:

"We are aware that the drawing is incorrect, there is an addendum
included with the manual that states this fact.  Audio ground should go
to pin 2 and shield should go to the shell. PTT should be between pin 3
and shell and NOT between pin 2 and 3."

Well, since the shield and audio ground were already connected to pin 2, I merely connected a short piece of braid between Pin 2 and the connector shell.  There was only slight improvement in the audio quality and the PTT still had a delay.  I haven't gone to the next obvious step and disconnected everything from pin 2.  I'll do that tonight and let you know what happened.

73, Joe