[TenTec] Broadband over Powerline (BPL)

Arthur Bernstein n2ka at optonline.net
Fri Apr 30 01:00:36 EDT 2004

Dear Mr. President,
I'm writing to you today because I am very concerned about an issue that
 may have numerous negative ramifications for us as a nation.
Specifically, there is in the works, a new technology called Broadband
over Powerlines or BPL, for short. As you are probably aware, the
premise behind this technology is the easy and allegedly economical
access to the Internet for those in this country who are not served by
high speed Internet services such as cable or DSL.
Coming from a technical background, I have come to discover that this
technology,  wherein broadband signals carrying Internet activity will
be transmitted over exposed power lines, is indeed a faulty and ill
conceived technology. It is a technology that HAS BEEN SHOWN to produce
wideband and indeed potentially wideranging  interference to
communications systems, be they military, commercial, public safety
(such as FEMA), amateur and others. This interference is not to taken
lightly. In these days of national vigilance against our enemies from
abroad, we DO NOT need any aiding or abetting our enemies from within
our borders! This technology WILL compromise communications systems due
to the interference it creates. This interference will mask the
intelligibility of urgent signals. Basically BPL is an unlicensed
 system  creating interference to licensed services (Part 15.) Notching
or selective filtering of these signals has not been shown to be
effective. Furthermore, the maintenance and upkeep for preventing
interfernece to other services would be a monumental and not economical
process. Ignoring this fact will be disasterous!! Whatever economic
gains there might be for the power companies involved, are far
overshadowed by the detriment offered to National Security. This is
very short sighted in its scope. It is my feeling that too many people
in government, including FCC Commissioner Powell, are just not attuned
to the technical side and instead have been locked into the potential
economic gains of this technology. Regarding economics, it appears that
the startup and maintenance costs for this technology will be
considerable. In order to be competitive with other Internet services,
these costs will have to be absorbed some place. Surely NOT by the
subscribers. In all liklihood, the costs will be passed on to the
ratepayers of electric service, whether they use BPL or not. Now that's
just NOT fair. It's UN AMERICAN!
Mr. President, my voice is a small one. There are over 293 million small
voices in this great land. Let's preserve our national security and
great nation.
God Bless.
Sincerely,
Arthur Bernstein