[TenTec] RF problems in the shack using Argo V

Ynkedragon at aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 16:02:53 EDT 2004

In a message dated 04/28/2004 18:00:56 Eastern Daylight Time, dbp at tds.net
writes:

<< Recently he has upgraded to an Argonaut V and since  has had lots of
 RF problems in the shack as well as not being able to tune the
 antennas...depending sometimes on rain. >>

Is he using the same power supply which he used with the Omni C, or the
switching supply being sold for use with the Omni?  If the new supply, I'm going to
suggest that he try operating (temporarily) with a 12.6 V. battery.  Some
switching supplies have evidenced more RFI susceptibility than linear supplies.

Before trying an "Artificial Ground," try a counterpoise.  That's a 1/4 wave
wire at the operating frequency which is attached to the rig chassis and
stretched away from the rig.   A 33' long piece of hookup wire (i.e. for 40 meters)
is a lot cheaper than a  device which is designed to electronically imitate a
33' long piece of wire.

A counterpoise has cured all sorts of antenna loading and RF feedback
problems for me--especially with sub-optimum antennas.  I would call an interior
antenna, one which is close to building wiring and possibly the transmitter, a
sub-optimum antenna.

73, Blair k3yd