[TenTec] Re: Roofing filters

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 19:24:32 EDT 2004

>          Grant, you apparently don't operate in SSB contests.  1.8 kHz spacing
> would truly be a luxury...signals are more like 1-1.5 kHz apart.  I often
> go to 1.5-1.6 kHz bandwidth when the going gets really tough...which is on
> the edge of readability for me.  2-3 kHz???...not in any SSB contests I've
> seen.

That wasn't what I was saying.  Yes, sure the 1.8 Khz roofing filter is useful in
contests or just 75M at night :-)

Someone said they were going to stick the 1.8 Khz filter it in the 2.4 Khz slot (I don't
think it was you, but might be wrong), and there was a follow-on comment that that
might not work because of transmit signal routing.

I was thinking "6Khz slot" when I made the comment above (brain on vacation), but
generally my statement really was to say that it doesn't make sense to use a
narrower roofing filter than DSP bandwidth.

I still sense confusion among some (you not included) about roofing vs. IF filtering in
the flow of the discussion,  however.   And think we're getting bamfoozled to some
extent by the option count :-)

Grant/NQ5T