[TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Thu Aug 5 19:32:30 EDT 2004

I disagree. Roofing filers serve the same purpose, are located in the same
place and are even the same physical part they have been for the past 30
years. Roofing is simply a new term invented to describe a filter needed to
overcome the shortcomings of DSP. With adequate "roofing filters" there is
little to be gained from DSP in the cw realm. They have nothing to do with
the "front end". They are in the IF chain as they have always been. The
Orion is a superhetrodyne receiver which was invented 70+ years ago. It has
a first converter, IF and detector. The roofing filter is located in IF
stage just like it has always been. The IF is downconverted to a very low
frequency (still considered an IF) and fed into the "DSP" system we so
highly revere. The DSP provides, amoung other things, a detector and agc
system. If the roofing filter were narrow enough, the DSP would not have
much to do on cw. After all, once the filters have removed the QRM from both
sides of a signal, all we need is a product detector to convert it to audio
so we can hear it! Shucks, cw is just a tone! What is the point of
converting it to digital pulses then trying to reconstruct it into a tone?
Now with SSB were we must wide wide wide filtering like 2.4khz just to
understand the stuff it's a different story. Now we can use the DSP to act
as an automatic notch filter and eliminate cw tones which BTW mostly exist
on 40 meters. DSP is also used in the transmitter's circuit to good
advantage to intregate voice procession etc.
There has been some talk about DSP filtering "not ringing". This is very
true in the JA imports but TenTec's filters seem imune from ringing, even
the narrow 250hz filters sound very natural. If you want to hear some
ringing, fire up a PROII with a 50hz filter and tune across 80 meters at
night. A little time spent with that in your headphones should send you
running for a quiet spot.

"I noticed the same thing as I started getting to know my new Orion.  I
think that part of the confusion is that the roofing filters are not the
signal bandwidth filters that we are used to seeing advertised in other
rigs.  The roofing filter sets the overall operational bandwidth that the
receiver front end sees.  The signal bandwidth is set using the DSP
bandwidth control."

Steve N4LQ