[TenTec] Orion Roofing Filter Cut In

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 6 07:44:10 EDT 2004

N4LQ wrote:
 >The Omni 6 uses a 15 khz filter at the beginning of the 9 mhz IF. In the
manual, TenTec refers to it but does not call it a roofing filter. The
roofing filter hype didn't begin until the Orion.

         If you call outstanding IMD and BDR performance "hype", that
began with Sherwood's introduction of the 600 Hz roofing filter for the
R4C in the 1970's.  I don't call that hype.  I call Icom's use of words
for the 7800 like "unparalleled, astonishing, ultimate, Masterpiece" and
pseudo non-qualified "specs" like "+40 dBm IP3" and "110 dB dynamic
range" hype.  "Hype" implies something beyond truth and facts.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV