[TenTec] NAR filter in Omni VI

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Fri Aug 6 22:28:41 EDT 2004

>I don't see how changing the filter will affect clicks. Clicks are generated by rise
>times in the keying circuit. Others here can respond to that issue better than I.

Many rigs key the transmitter in CW by keying a DC offset to the
balanced mixer, unbalancing it and letting carrier through. This carrier
then passes through the the 2.4 kHz ( or other bandwidth not far from
this ) IF filter that is used in SSB TX to select only one of the
sidebands coming out of the balanced mixer. This filter limits the
bandwidth of the SSB signal, and if the keyed carrier CW signal has
clicks it will also limit the bandwidth of the clicks.

Using the IF filter to limit the bandwicth of the clicks is a sort of
band-aid approach to patch a problem that should not be there in the
first place. Proper rise and fall times and shapes of the keying
envelope are the right way to do it.

DE N6KB