[TenTec] Where do the filters go

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 13 23:15:24 EDT 2004

W4BQF wrote:
 >Bill, I'm well aware of the 'problems' with the 500 and 250 Hz filters, but
why would a company release an unfinished product? We all know the reason
for that. And yes, they can be used as 'simple bandpass' filters, but it's
my understanding that was not the intent, and the purchasers received an
unfinished product.

Ten-Tec certainly had good intentions in offering the optional filters
that would allow the use of their older filters, however I'm sure they
did not realize the bad IMD effects introduced by the 500/250 at the time.
The solution now available with the Inrad 762 is actually better for
the customer.  For $80, instead of $115 from Inrad or $109 from TT, the
customer only needs ONE 600 Hz filter which provides far superior IMD
performance than either the 500 or 250 from Inrad or Ten-Tec.

Regarding "an unfinished product", you are certainly correct, but at
least Ten-Tec is diligently working on it, and I suspect most problems
will be addressed at no cost to the customer.  AA4NU can again roll his
eyes but how far along is Yaesu on finishing the keyclick problems in
the FT-1000 family?  After 15 years they have yet to even acknowledge
any problem!  And who footed the bill for Inrad's or W8JI's fixes to
that problem?  Hint...not Yaesu.  I could also mention the IC-756/PRO/
PRO2/PRO3, which do not exactly imply finished products, but will let it
drop here.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV