[TenTec] Re: Yet another basic question

Roy Koeppe royanjoy at ncn.net
Sun Aug 15 11:51:49 EDT 2004

Concerning...

"One thing I've been especially picky about is receiver hiss." (etc.)

Same for me. 'Hi-fi' cans are a demanding case. To end hiss, I built a
passive inline filter, tailored to the Z of the particular drivers used.
>From charts in hi-fi speaker midrange crossover design books, you can do
it correctly. Use a multi-stage LC or (LCR) bandpass filter. Use the LCR
if you want some padding down in volume built in, in order to match the
apparent  volume of you speaker. My filters have volume controls built
into them so as not to wear out the poor control on the OMNI-6+ which as
we know gets scratchy fast. ALSO, my filters plug into the rear apron
speaker jack, not the headphone jack. They have selector switches for
choosing external speakers, or headphones. That way when a QRX break to
the sand box is needed, you simply snap the switch to speaker so you can
listen while you're away, at a preset volume. The headphone jacks have a
finite life of in/out pluggings--you know, metal fatigue. Hard to
replace! Maybe our hearing is too good. It might correct itself in due
time.

73,      Roy         K6XK/0         Iowa