[TenTec] QSK SSB

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:51:51 EDT 2004

I prefer PTT on SSB chiefly because in all the years of phone operating I
have yet to find a vox
circuit that behaved exactly the way I want it to.  I have never been able
to fix it so I get it to key up right when I start but not hang any at all.
The best vox I ever saw was on an old Heathkit single bander transceiver.
Next best was my ten tec triton II.   But because I want complete tx control
and in ragchew roundtables you can miss a wisecrack (hi) in a second if your
vox hangs any at all, I go with PTT.

On cw, I have used QSK for so long not using it would be unthinkable for me.
  In ragchewing especially, you want everyone to be able to break each
other.  it's just more fun that way and keeps one person from going long and
boring everyone else.  I tried separate antennas for tx and rx a couple of
years after I was first licensed and never looked back.  What about a
linear?  I think 98% of the time you don't need one on cw.

Rob/K5UJ