[TenTec] RE: DIgital Signal Processing

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon Aug 16 15:30:18 EDT 2004

I think that there are some reasonable and logical distinctions that can
be made between digital control techniques and digital signal
processing. Most  production radios have been using digital techniques
for controlling the function of a basically analog radio for many years
now. When an optical shaft angle encoder drives a microprocessor  which
then controls a PLL to determine the local oscillator frequency of the
receiver, this is digital control, NOT DSP. When the received SIGNAL
gets DIGITIZED and PROCESSED DIGITALLY, this is DSP.

Here is a contrived example of digital control versus digital signal
processing:

If the radio uses an up/down button to control the volume, and the
microprocessor is controlling an analog attenuator in the audio path,
this would be digital control, not DSP.

If the radio uses an up/down button to control the volume, and the
microprocessor is controlling the volume by performing an arithmetic
function on a stream of bits that represent the audio, this would be DSP.

 From the outside of the box they appear the same.

DE N6KB