[TenTec] Orion Headphone Audio

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Mon Aug 16 21:22:59 EDT 2004

I've just spent an hour or so monitoring the MM Service Net with their
Hurricane Charlie followup using my headphones. This is the first time that
I've spent any time using headphones with the Orion and I've found a couple
of interesting things:

1) I have a quiet shack and like to listen at low volume. I find that with
the Orion main Rx audio at the lowest step above off, the volume in my
Kenwood HS-5 headphones (8 ohms) is higher than I would like.

2) I had the main receiver audio routed to both ears, but had the sub
receiver audio routed to the speaker. With the headphones plugged in there
is no audio to the speaker, but I discovered that as I increased the Sub Rx
audio, the volume in the headphones (main Rx) decreased.

3) With all audio sources set to the main Rx and with headphones plugged in,
if you turn the main Rx volume all the way down or mute it (pushing in the
knob), audio to the rear panel Aux jack, left audio out signal goes away. As
soon as you turn the main audio back on the audio on the Aux jack comes back
and appears to be a fixed level (i.e. doesn't change with the AF gain
control).  With the headphones unplugged and audio coming through the
speaker, muting the audio does not cause the Aux jack audio to go away.

73,
Mark