[TenTec] RE: DIgital Signal Processing

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Mon Aug 16 13:57:42 EDT 2004

I think there is a useful distinction between the various CPUs, and it's
important for the Orion.

TT doesn't tell us quite enough about the logical architecture of the
Orion, but here's what I've learned so far.  The "Sharc" DSP chips do
the filtering, detection, and modulation.

But the "Dragonball" processor (Mot 68000 family) handles the LCD, VFO
control, the keyer (with jitter), serial I/O, and front panel
functions.  Most of the firmware problems seem to be in the Dragonball code.

The interesting feature (for me) is that, while the control processor
directs the DSP operation, the received audio/IF data are mostly not
available to the control processor.  (Excepting the spectrum display)
This means, among other things, that the LCD can't show a tuning
indicator (for FSK or PSK), can't show demodulated digital modes, etc.
Also we can't show signal statistics that might help set up the digital
AGC.  Some of these functions are available in the IC-7800, and
hopefully we will see them "trickle down" to us proletarian Orion users.
(no flames, please!)

I'd say that control processors, high-level signal processing (codecs),
and the user interface is where the real innovation will be in the
future, because RF and basic DSP are becoming commodities.   Anyone
agree with that?

73, Martin