[TenTec] QSK on Lake Shoshobocomo

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Mon Aug 16 22:19:47 EDT 2004

al_lorona at agilent.com wrote:

>Finally, may I simply state that in listening to CW QSOs on the bands, I almost *never* hear true QSK operation, where the operators are breaking in on each other. I'd say maybe 1% of the QSOs I hear are following a true QSK format. Even during contests. I myself have it turned on all the time, but the last time I was broken into was years ago. For as critically important a function as this reflector would have one regard QSK, and even if the majority of ops have it turned on all the time, it almost never is put into practice! Strange.

I remember reading where 20wpm CW was considered "entry" level
operation, and that anyone with a reasonable bit of interest could
achieve that speed in a short period of time.  At the time I read this,
I was just starting out copying CW on 7100-7150 and I thought the person
who wrote that was totally nuts - "20 wpm!?! How can someone copy that
fast?!?"  Years later I picked up the key again and spent about six
months going from 5wpm to 25wpm - it took a little work but was
extremely rewarding.  Nowadays I understand how 20wpm is really the
beginnier's entry point.

The only thing hard about CW is being patient while you increase your
copying speed to the speed you want to copy.  Unlike the $150 fancy
microphone I bought for SSB work which gave me three days of bliss, CW
endures as constant fun.  I've long since traded all my microphones for
Vibroplex bugs and don't miss the microphones one bit.

What's this got to do with QSK?  Well, lots, actually.  If you're
operating CW more than 30 minutes a day you will eventually find
yourself "blind" without it 'cause at 30wpm or faster carrying on a
"conversation" more-'r-less requires it.  My guess is that most of the
guys you're listening to are running around 25-30wpm and at those speeds
it's more a matter of preference than utility.

The lure of most of the digital modes is beginning to wear off and CW is
coming back - God be praised.

73 Jason N1SU