[TenTec] Orion - second week impressions and comparisons

Dave Clark w8do at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 23:01:27 EDT 2004

Observations and comparisons with the Omni VI Plus:

   Recevier does an excellent job eliminating low band QRN.  Rates a ten compared to the Omni VI's 2.
   Sensitivity is better, mostly due to the ability to manipulate the AGC
   Duel receive, to my surprise, acutally has a function for those who are not competive.  I found it interesting and helpful to be working DX, while at the same time monitoring traffic for the Florida disaster.  Also, duel receive is fantistic for split operation.
   Always missed general coverage receive on the Omni VI Plus.  Excellent receive capablities for shortwave listening.
   Passband tuning is really great in heavy QRM!
   QSK, in my opinion, is quieter and faster than the Omni VI Plus.
   Panaromic stereo for C.W. is outstanding, especially with the Heil Pro-Set.
   NR flexibilty exceeds Omni's
   I miss the clock built into the Omni VI Plus!
   Internal keyer on the Orion works much easier than the Omni VI Plus.

The Orion is here to stay and, in my opinion, worth the money to upgrade.  Photo's available on www.nancyanddave.com   Congratulations Ten Tec for an excellent, trouble free, tranceiver!!!