[TenTec] The QSK of QSK

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Aug 17 03:21:39 EDT 2004

> >Only 312 countries on 160 and doesn't use QSK.
>
> Anyone can work lots of DX (and score big in contests with big power
> and big antennas. This is NOT a measure of operating skill.  It takes
> skill to do it with low power and mediocre antennas.

Hi Jim,

Some would argue that it takes a masochistic streak to do it
with low power and mediocre antennas. I mean, if I turn down
my power and antenna gain so the guy on the other end can't
hear me, what does that prove? I think it proves that I am a
glutton for punishment. To use a automotive analogy, what is
a bigger differentiator of driving skills, taking an AMC pacer
down the quarter mile strip, or taking a top fuel dragster down
the quarter mile strip? Personally I would prefer to maximize
my operating skills and my ERP. The two don't have to be
mutually exclusive. I mean when you get 312 countries on 160
meters using 50 watts to a butternut vertical on a city lot, be
sure to give me a call (I am not holding my breath).

Also, remember, QSK is not an operating skill, it is an
operating aid. You can run VOX on CW with a short hang
time, keep your calls short, and still be a decent operator.