[TenTec] QSK of QRP/QRO

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 14:17:33 EDT 2004

I would like to see a contest scoring structure wherin each QSO is
scored according to power level used. Perhaps  three power levels and
three different multipliers. The power levels would be >800, 200 to 800,
and <200, or something like that. (I chose those levels because they are
typical big amplifier/small amplifier/no amplifier levels. Perhaps there
could be even more catagories to include QRP levels. ) Only computer
generated logs would be accepted, and power level would be automatically
entered for each QSO using some kind of simple power sensor/computer
interface. Operators could use any method they like to acheive the
various power output levels. Multiple amplifiers, power attenuators,
coaxial relays, foot switches, etc.

I think this would encourage more QSOs made at lower power levels,
lowering the QRM. The "choose a power level catagory and stick to it for
every QSO in the contest" method, used in most contests, encourages the
use of full power even when working stations that are umpteen dB over
S9. Yea sure this multiple power level scheme would offer new
opportunities for dishonest hams to cheat. People can cheat on their
power level with the present scoring systems too.

DE N6KB