[TenTec] Ten Tec amps and ALC

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 18:06:58 EDT 2004

> Why do Ten Tec rigs lack an ALC jack and why do Ten Tec amps lack an
> ALC input?

I thought the the ALC connection on an amplifier was an OUTPUT. When the
drive level to the amplifier approached an amount that would drive the
amplifier into non-linearity, the signal from the amplifier ALC output
was supposed to act as a sort of negative feedback, reducing the drive
from the exciter.

With so many exciters that put out 100 watts and more, and so many grid
driven PAs that need only about 60 watts drive, it would seem like ALC
would still be a good thing to have. I don't know whether there was ever
any standard established as far as ALC volltage level (or even polarity)
to produce a specific exciter gain reduction. With no standard
established, it may be better not to have ALC at all, when mixing brands
of exciters and PAs.

My Titan 425 has an OVERDRIVE indicator. If I ever operated SSB, AM,
PSK31 or other modes where multiple tones are used and amplitude
linearity is important, I would adjust my exciter power level to make
sure that the OVERDRIVE indicator on the Titan never comes on. In fact,
operating CW, I do that anyway. Just not for all the same reasons.

DE N6KB