[TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance (long)

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Thu Aug 19 10:40:27 EDT 2004

5B4AGN's results with high-speed CW are fascinating to me, not because I
ever expect to work over 40 wpm CW, or even 30 wpm, but because of what
it says about the Orion's design.  There's been a lot of discussion of
fast CW and QSK here, but has anyone discovered _why_ there are
problems?  It's hard to get to the bottom of it without a logic analyzer
and firmware listings.  My idea is that it's the result of routing fast
CW on-off information through a control processor that is too slow or
too busy with other tasks.

I bet you could get perfect QRQ by keying your own audio oscillator and
running the Orion in SSB mode!  No QSK, of course.

73 - Martin