[TenTec] ORION QRQ tests

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 15:17:34 EDT 2004

Thanks for the well described tests and results. As a non Orion owner,
and perhaps a future Orion owner, I have a few questions and comments.

Does Orion have a semi-breakin mode or some other less than full QSK
mode? If so, how does QRQ performance in that mode compare to
performance in full QSK mode?

Others have already pointed out that there are possible timing errors in
the keying input, and that in order to be sure we are really analyzing
what the Orion does, we need to be sure we really know what the input
is. It sounds like you are pretty confident that the timing of the
keying input is correct, and the comparison with the Omni VI is a good
verification. Another method is to use a dual trace o'scope with one
channel monitoring the keying input line and the other channel
monitoring the RF output. This way we can see whether the RF out of the
rig accurately represents the keying input, even if the keying input is
not properly generated code. This is the setup ARRL uses in their rig
reveiws. It is easiest to see what is going on with the first few code
elements this way, and harder to detect lost elements far into a
transmission. A digital storage o'scope would be nice for this. Most of
us probably don't have one laying around the shack though. Maybe someone
who has access to a digital storage scope with PC interface and
appropriate software, and an Orion can make these tests.

DE N6KB