[TenTec] ORION QRQ tests - schematics

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Fri Aug 20 14:23:44 EDT 2004

I have the Orion schematics, but many important functions are hidden
away inside the CPU -- Xilinx & Sharc code, etc.  That's very "black"
because they don't publish the firmware source.   I wish they would do
that!  Or maybe someone braver than I could reverse engineer the firmware...

The hardware schematics are probably all there, but they are not
presented in a way that helps you understand how things work (many small
sheets with signals that jump off to who-knows-where).  The contrast
with my classic Kenwood is profound.  The whole rig was all there on one
big schematic, which mere mortals could begin to decode. To be fair, it
is harder when your chips have hundreds of pins.

Martin, AA6E