TT Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ Performance

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Fri Aug 20 20:48:59 EDT 2004

> Tom
>
> Whilst what you have to say here is certainly interesting I am not so sure
> it is convincing.
>
> At this stage I have three files which I believe tell the story with Orion
> QRQ.  These files which are half speed transcripts of the Orion at 60, 65
> and 70 wpm tell a meaningful story.  Should anyone be interested in
> listening to these files I will be happy to send them a copy.
>
> I am convinced that the CW input from my Writelog Mult-keyer combination
is
> good but respect the doubts cast by Barry and Duane.  To deal with these
> concerns, I will conduct a similar set of tests recording input keying
> alongside Orion output  copied on a seperate rx.  I propose  to make a
> stereo sound file of input/output at 60, 65 & 70 wpm.  It seems to me that
> should remove all doubt over what is causing the hiccups here.
>
> I contend that Orion is capable upto 60 wpm in producing good code but not
> thereafter.
>
> Tom, If YPlog and DGM keyboard produce bad code above 40 wpm with Orion
then
> that must most likely be due to the performance of those s/w products.
> That I can get good CW output at upto 60 wpm with Writelog says that Orion
> is capable of that.  Writelog is not so clever that it can do it despite
the
> inability of Orion.

Bob...this is not fair, but I'll ask it anyway. If I unplug the DGM keyboard
and/or the YPlog from the Orion, and move the connector to the Omni 6, and
the Omni 6 produces a correct reproduction of the input keying waveform, up
to the 68 wpm limit of the Omni 6, but the Orion, at about 42 wpm, starts
changing the element width randomly, the spacing between the elements
randomly and the length of the character randomly, and continues to get
worse as I increase speed, the basic question is of course, what is at fault
here, the DGM, YPlog, the Omni 6, or the Orion? I'm not doing this by ear,
I'm using the keying waveform to sync the scope, watching the keying input
on A  channel, and watching the RF output waveform on the B channel. On my
scope, a 20ms dot into the Omni 6 produces a 20 ms dot RF waveform. The same
input signal to  the Orion, at 60 wpm, produces a 12ms dot.

I'm sorry I haven't had time yet to remove my anti-virus software, as my son
has been here with me and I'm spending more time with him than the
computer..hihi. He is going back to Florida tomorrow and I'll remove my
anti-virus software and ask you to send your wav files again.

Thanks.

Tom - W4BQF