[TenTec] grounding dipoles

n4lq n4lq at iglou.com
Mon Aug 23 07:37:44 EDT 2004

You can have a lot of interaction between parallel dipoles. Some antenna
current will flow the unused antennas no matter how you try to avoid it.
Depending on which bands you try to parallel, the results will be mixed.
Often, high swr and narrow bandwidth is the result. I have had good
results with 80,40,20 paralleled as an inverted vee and drooping down
around the pole like a maypole. I tried putting them all in the same
plane and ended up with horrible swr problems. 40m and 30m can really get
crazy. 80m and 160m will work but yields very narrow 2:1 bandwidth on
both bands. People have been doing this since antennas were invented.
Read any book about antennas and you'll find this covered.
Think about this: What if we cut a dipole for every frequency between 1.8
and 30 mhz and hooked them in parallel? We would end up with two big
sheets of metal about 250 ft. long and a mile high! What would the swr be?

Steve n4lq