[TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware 1.03 and keying

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Wed Aug 25 22:55:25 EDT 2004

I have had several inquires via email and on the air about this so let me clarify:

If your model 564, Omni 6+ has firmware version 1.03, your dits will begin to clip at about 35 wpm and at 50 wpm dits will be nonexistent. The cure is to order firmware version 1.02 from TenTec and replace the chip. If you do not know where your firmware chip is located, follow these directions:

Remove the top cover of the rig. The logic board is on the right front of the rig and the firmware chip is the large chip with the white liable toward the front of the rig.
Of course be sure to disconnect the power supply before removing the chip and be sure to ground yourself to the chassis to discharge any static electricity.

There is no need to do a reset after swapping the chip. Just listen to the improvement on another receiver. Hold down the dit paddle at about 60 wpm and you'll see what I mean. You should now be able to transmit (not copy) 65 wpm with decent QSK.

If you call the factory, ask for Don Prowdy. He is the Omni VI expert. He was very helpful and  prompt in filling my order and I gave him a warning that he may be getting a few orders for this chip. 73

Steve N4LQ