[TenTec] 253 interface 4-6.5mHz?

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 01:15:08 EDT 2004

Isn't there a power limitation of 50 watts on

>>the sixty meter channels?  If so, why worry about interfacing a Herc for
>>that band?  You wouldn't be planning anything illegal, would you?
>>
>I don't do channels, and I seldom do phone, so I won't likely be on 60 meters at any power level.

The Ten Tec amps are designed so that you can loop your transceiver

>through them to get to the antenna. If you have the amp in the standby mode, it
>isn't active, but the power supply is on and all it takes to get it to work is to
>push the "Operate" switch.

This is pretty standard for just about any amplifier.

>All of my friends that have Ten Tec amps have them wired this way, and some
>have the transceiver set to run at a very low power so that the power amp is
>putting out 100-200 watts, then turning up the power when they need it. This is
>in complete conformance with FCC rules for the Amateur Service, which
>require that we always use the minimum power required for the desired
>communications.

In case you want somebody who has BPL operating in their neighborhood to
answer, full power is always the minimum power required when calling CQ,
until the FCC starts doing their job, and shuts BPL down.

DE N6KB