[TenTec] Omni VI v. Orion

designer designer at quickdata.com
Tue Aug 31 13:56:13 EDT 2004

>Paragons cannot be used for DXing since their frequency readout uses
>only one color

Darn, I was planing to work some DX with my cool looking (yes, that's
why I bought it) Paragon II. Maybe I can get some translucent colored
paper and cover different number segments on the display. Will that
improve the reception?

I've been tempted to jump on one of the current Omni VI+ offers, but
I've heard DSP and though at times it seems like magic, the analog
Paragon II is sure easy on the ears - and I can always get outboard
audio DSP.

When I look at the Orion's controls, (and read all the after market
issues, and special settings) my head is spinning more than all those
dials.

OFF TRACK
It would be interesting to hear candidly why the Pegasus was
discontinued - if the computer (only) controlled rig is dead for now
or if the next is waiting in the wings. Sure requiring a computer
means another piece of gear. But unless it is a portable design, the
rig will have a shack and there will probably be a computer near by.
It seems even the "weakest" computer today will run a rig. I'm using
and "accessory" computer I bought on eBay for $60.00 it has a
mini-desktop profile so it sits quietly on a lower shelf on the desk.
Runs about 350Mhz Pentium II. I added 128MB for a song and an
additional $7.00 got me two more com ports so I can run multiple
rigs. Pretty cheap eats. I can still use the USB and when things are
quiet in the "shack" I could swear I hear a little voice saying,
"320D", "320D", "320D"....
ON TRACK

If it's your "backup" rig - you are going to be looking at it more
than using it. The color/layout of the Ommi VI+ ....just looks like a
serious piece of hardware. Not quite as nice as the Paragon II mind
you, but good enough.

73,
Paul

PS: Does anyone have a spare Paragon/Omni VI+ front panel I can mount
in front of the computer :-)