[TenTec] Firmware upgrade and Keyer timing--Solved

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 16:01:13 EST 2004

Ok, got the answer to the keyer timing issue.  Been talking to Paul at
Ten Tec this morning. He called me back after conferring with their
software folks.  If you turn the Orion off,  it will start again in the
opposite mode of what was selected when you turned it off.  So, if
you've chosen Mode B and turn on and off, it will still show Mode B but
it is in Mode A.  So, if you're a Mode B guy like me, always leave it
in Mode A.  They're working on a fix.

I foolishly thought that I'd perhaps done something wrong yesterday in
flashing to 1.372 and that started a comedy of errors this morning.  I
tried flashing it three times before I finally, at Paul's advice,
deleted my files, made sure AVG anti virus was disabled, and downloaded
the update again.  Then turned off Orion of course and the laptop and
even unplugged my serial cable since previous attempts stalled at about
line 3000 with Serial port error.  Then tried again with the Error
checking box checked.  It proceeded much much faster and all is well.
Now I'm hesitant to do anything including a Master reset unless I've
problems down the road.  Been a Mac guy for 15 years and using Windows
still seems a mystery.

Hope this helps anyone with the Keyer timing problem.

Gary  W7TEA