[TenTec] First DSP IF Corsair II?

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 19:53:48 EST 2004

--- Gary Hoffman <ghoffman at spacetech.com> wrote:

> This is a heck of a good idea.  Wonder if there is
> more info available ?

Since decided to give this shot just last night the
info bellow is pretty much all that there is. Although
I have been kicking this basic idea around for some
time now, just finally got an SDR-1000 recently to
actually try it with. I'm sure with some more thought
and hardware interfacing work the TX side of this DSP
IF could be done in a similar fashion as well.

> Wonder how this would work with other software
> defined radios ?  Maybe some real cheap ones?

I have no doubt this could be done with just about any
other SDR hardware and software, in many ways the
SDR-1000 is actually overkill for this application, it
is however the easiest place to start such an
experiment today. All of the other possible approaches
that I'm aware of would require much more work to make
play at all (I tend to run out of patience and
ambition for such projects ;)).

The "Time Machine" board from Expanded Spectrum
Systems or the Kanga R2Pro direct conversion RX kit
could also be used as a starting point for a project
like this.

I've also been looking, watching, and waiting for
software to use for this kind of a project for some
time now. Some other software possibilities could be
SDRadio from I2PHD, it is only an RX and is rather
limited for what settings you have to work with, and
it is freeware though (for ham radio use only). Linrad
from SM5BSZ would be another possibility, it is quite
mature but requires Linux, it too it is freeware
(again for ham radio use only).

At one time I thought about using an RX320 (or even a
Pegasus) as a "DSP" IF to the Corsair II like I've
just done with the SDR-1000, I never actually tried it
though. My reluctance was because it would add several
more conversion stages, not reduce them. Also the
RX320's VHF 1st LO is comparatively noisy. One of my
main goals has been to avoid internal RX noise sources
such as phase noisy LO's, (or other oscillators) and
mixers; and also to specifically reduce the number of
mixers in the RX chain to a bare minimum. The Corsair
has an inherently quiet 1st LO, and the SDR-1000 is
based on a "Quadrature Sampling Detector" design which
is arguably not a mixer at all but is instead a
"sampling" device (the SDR-1000's RF to baseband/audio
is "direct conversion" regardless). So the Corsair II
/ SDR-1000 combination as I have it now configured
could be argued to be either a single or double
conversion RX depending on how you classify the QSD of
the SDR-1000.

Duane
N9DG