[TenTec] Giehl Chip Versions

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Wed Dec 8 00:56:07 EST 2004

Well now that I have a Paragon in my Ten-Tec station (Along with an
Omni-6+, 229B, two Scouts, a 526 and an RX-350) I have been trying to
ferret out the lineage of the 'Giehl Chip'. My Paragon (built in 91) had
a Ten-Tec ROM 3.8 installed but also a Giehl version 3.0 inside the
manual. I installed the Giehl Chip and early tests seem to indicate that
it is working, but I am concerned about what I have read regarding
CW/QSK timing problems. I also read messages indicating that there was a
version 6.0 and a version 6.1 Giehl chip! Yet my search to Jack Giehl's
website indicated that the final version was indeed 3.0.

I'd love to put together some statistics for this reflector (if it
hasn't already been done):
Paragon Serial Number | Ten-Tec ROM version | Giehl ROM version | Known
issues

What say all you Paragon owners? Do you remember what you have?

Jerald, KG6TT
Albany, CA