[TenTec] Re: Orion

W9MWS at aol.com W9MWS at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 09:45:05 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/9/2004 11:02:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wb5oxq at grandecom.net writes:
I am trying to save up money to buy an Orion and these emails are
discouraging.  I do not contest, work cw, or do fancy things, I just want a
great quiet receiver and if this is better than my Omni 6+ I still think I
want one!
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago ... I work SSB, CW and PSK31 mostly and
some other modes infrequently ... my Omni VI+ fully filtered was a great
radio on CW, OK on SSB and didn't have general coverage.  The Orion is, in my
opinion, better than my Omni VI+.  Over the last 2 weekends, in side by side
SUBJECTIVE comparison, it appears to have a better receiver for weak signal work
than my FT-1000 MP Mark 5.  The learning curve on set up and operation is a bit
steep ... lots of stuff to set and then tweak and then think about and maybe
tweak again.  There are lots of folks on this reflector and at Ten-Tec who will
help us through this learning time.  That said, I've had NONE of the problems
mentioned recently on the reflector HOWEVER I don't think I have a very
complicated or demanding set up ... at least not like some of the more experienced
users may have ... Just the Orion, an Alpha 87A keyed through Keying Loop #1,
a Carolina Windom 160 and a plain old reliable Mosley TA-33M beam.  I contest
infrequently on both CW and SSB but I do enjoy weak signal work and short wave
listening ... my Orion works great for what I use it for.

All that verbiage to say ... I like my Orion and I'm glad I bought it!  If
that helps you in your decision making ... SUPER!

73 de Mike W9MWS
Fort Wayne, IN