[TenTec] Orion

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 17:14:31 EST 2004

> headphones, AM reception is NOT the best I've heard

There is a known problem with AM tuning rates on the sub-receiver.  The
tuning step is essentially fixed at 2.5Khz (at least when a step size of
1Khz or less is selected).  I've been told this is a difficult problem to
fix, but is apparently on the list of items to tackle with a rework of some
aspects of DSP code.  This is not an issue on the main receiver -- and I use
my Orion for AM (transmit and receive) more than any other mode.  Not a deal
breaker, in any case.

The best AM receiver is really an R-390 with a Sherwood sync detector on it,
anyway :-)  I frequently use my Orion as the transmitter with the
R-390/Sherwood as the receiver.  Dee lite full.

Grant/NQ5T