Re: [TenTec] SDR’s, You and RFI - Real Long

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 10 20:02:50 EST 2004

John:  Your fine work notwithstanding, this issue begs the question: Why
should SDR's be any more sensitive to RFI than any other radio that has
microprocessors, lsi chips, memory, dsp's, etc,. under the hood?  The answer
IMHO, is that they shouldn't.  More careful attention to the layout,
shielding, cabling and bypassing (good mechanical and electronic
construction techniques--hardly rocket science) would have produced a radio
that didn't have the RFI problem in the first place.

The answer: "..Welcome to the world of SDR's" doesn't address the problem at
the source, the design stage.  One should not have to rewire the
neighborhood to make a radio work properly.

My comments are not meant to diminish in any way the wise and valuable
suggestions you've made as regards grounding and RFI minimization -- my only
point is that it could have been done under the hood with less ruckus.  If
we except the 'inevitability' that SDR's will always be problematic
performers in high RF fields, we're voting for more of the same.

Best regards,
Jerome - VA7VV