[TenTec] Noise

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Sat Dec 11 18:48:00 EST 2004

Turning on the noise blanker causes the dynamic range of the RX to suffer
substantially.  That's why you'll get garbage from nearby stations when
you turn it on.  The reason CW tones sound raspy is because the blanker
is essentially killing your RX for the few microseconds that each noise
pulse occurs.  So, you hear a CW tone with all those slices removed from
it, making it sound "buzzy".  It's normal with loud noise, noise blanker
on, and a CW signal behind it.  Because SSB waveforms are much more
'random' the effect is not quite as noticeable, but still obvious when
the noise switches on or off.

        73,  Duane