[TenTec] Mic hook-up to Orion - XLR Wiring

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Dec 11 19:55:10 EST 2004

John, if I understand correctly, then pins 2 nd 3 are both shielded.
That's good.
Better would be an XLR cable with another cable so that I could run the ptt
from it.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of N0KHQ at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 4:49 PM
To: mark at microenh.com; tentec at contesting.com; orion at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Mic hook-up to Orion - XLR Wiring

Hi Mark and Group,

Using a mic with XLR such as the Goldline wire it as follows:

XLR = Pin # 1 (shield/gnd) to mic connector case - this shield wire comes
back out of

the connector and is secured by wrapping

it
around one of the screws you tighten

down
 to hold the mic cord in place.

XLR = Pin # 2 This is the Audio Send (+) it wires to Pin # 1 on  the Orion
mic connector.

XLR = Pin # 3 This is the Audio Return ( - ) it wires to Pin # 2 on the
Orion Mic connector

If you are using a Foot Switch or separate PTT switch: wire as  follows:

PTT or Foot Switch wire one side to Pin # 3 on the Orion mic connector, the

other wire wires to the shield (chassis ground) at the Orion mic  connector.

Or

You can bypass the mic connector all together for the PTT or Foot Switch
and
use the AUX I/O as shown on page 28 of the Orion's Operations Manual.

Or

You can use the CW 1/4" phono plug on the front of the Orion and in Menu
under CW change
SSB: CW Jack PTT = On. (this is what I use)

If I can be of further help let me know

John / N0KHQ / St. Louis