[TenTec] Omni 6/425 Titan - Losing receive audio

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Dec 12 22:23:40 EST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:25:23 -0600, Jay Schwisow wrote:

>However, after another 30 minutes of operation I lost the receive again.  I
>am thinking I am having intermittent relay problems on the Titan.  Any
>thoughts?

When this happened to my Titan (in the last hour of a CW contest) it was the
main antenna relay (on a board right next to the output coax connector). DO NOT
buy one from TenTec -- bloody expensive, and you can buy good condition used
pulls on the net for under $40. I bought two so I would have a spare.  It takes an
hour or two to change it is the original Jennings relay. TenTec later switched to a
KiloVac relay, which requires a different PC board -- if you have that one, you
may need to buy one of the older boards from TenTec. And if you buy the relay
from TenTec, you'll get both the relay and the new board. $300.

Here's where I bought mine. I see that they also sell Kilovac, so they may have
replacements for the newer relay too.

http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/vacuum-relays-SPDT.htm

Another hint. Relay failure can cause transistor failures on another board that is
under the tube sockets (easy to reach from underneath).  Don't run the amp with
the defective relay to avoid blowing those transistors. The replacement
transistors should be easy to find. I had exact replacements in my junkbox.

Jim Brown K9YC