[TenTec] Orion Mic Woes

Tom Wagner tfwagner at snet.net
Wed Dec 15 05:41:47 EST 2004

More to report.  The symptom is easier to
recreate with the mic gain set at 100, however
it happens with mic gains down to 20, and that
is below what the HC-4 element needs to drive the
radio.

I have been able to get the problem started and
remove the mic and have it continue, so it some
sort of oscillation/instability.  I have not
yet been able to get the mode started with one
of my inexpensive mics.

My next step will be to put a resistor in series
with the HC-4 and see if the radio likes a
higher impedance better than the one that the
HC-4 presents.

Is there anyone with an Heil mic with an HC-4
element that is able to reproduce this symptom?
Or do I just have a broken radio?

73,
Tom - N1MM