[TenTec] Any issues with Corsair II --> SB-200 amp?

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Dec 18 03:04:21 EST 2004

Hey, you guys are in general, technically correct, but in this case
completely WRONG!

Perhaps you should take a look at the SB-200's schematic and reconsider.

The 120v mains enters the SB-200 with both sides floating above ground and
are fed to the input (primary side) of T1.  The 3rd wire (safety ground) of
the mains connects directly to the chassis.  T1 has 3 windings on its
secondary:
 - Filament
 - HV
 - Bias (120v)

One of the two wires of the (secondary) bias winding is tied directly to
chassis ground.  The other wire feeds the cathode of a half-wave rectifier
and its -130v output provides the tubes' bias and also keys the T/R relay.
It happens to be negative because the tube's bias needs to be negative.

It is perfectly OK and perfectly safe to key this -130v with the Corsair's
internal relay. In fact a second, external keying relay isn't going to add
any safety at all because if somehow the AC would short-circuit in the
transformer (T1) and get into the SB-200's relay keying circuit, it would be
all over the chassis and all over the coax and thus all over the Corsair
anyway, despite the external relay which has been suggested.

All you have done with your suggestion is to add excessive (and destructive)
delay into the keying circuitry.

AGAIN, IT IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE TO KEY THE SB-200 DIRECTLY WITH THE
CORSAIR, USING THE CORSAIR'S BUILT-IN EXTERNAL T/R KEYING RELAY!

(Please heed my warning about QSK-Delay in my previous post)

73
Rick