[TenTec] RS232 Serial Interface for Paragon 585 problems - update

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Sat Dec 18 16:35:13 EST 2004

Just for the record, my model 258 RS232 board for my 585 Paragon is now
working, thanks to a tip from Don Prouty at Ten Tec. Seems later versions of
that board included a 10M resistor across the crystal to help it oscillate.
Mine was seemingly dead and not communicating in either direction, but after
adding an available 4.7M resistor in that spot, it is now perking along
nicely and communicating well with my logging program. I can also control
the radio using HyperTerminal, but still need to do some debugging to get
the original Ten Tec BASIC control program to work. I believe it is a
compiler problem with controlling the serial port (I am using Turbo Basic to
compile the original program), but I'll have to fiddle a bit more on that.
Anyway, nice progress! Thanks to those who provided help both here and via
email.

=Vic=
WA4THR