[TenTec] Tentec Orion / Yaesu Mark V FT-1000MP

W9MWS at aol.com W9MWS at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 19:22:49 EST 2004

Well guys, I'm going the opposite way.  I'm keeping my Orion and selling my FT-1000MP MK V which I've had for over 4 years AND had generally good luck with IF you discount the problems with the FP-29 power supply which were many!

I've been through the side by side (MK 5 to 756PROII, MK V to Omni VI+, MK 5 to IC-765, MK 5 to Drake C Line) tests and I've kept the MK 5 every time and sold the others ... except for the C Line which is still my favorite tube TX/RX pair.  This time though, the MK V lost out to the Orion.  I've had very few problems with my Orion and the RX is better than the MK V in side by side tests of weak signal DX CW contacts and a few weak signal SSB contacts on 160 through 15 meters (10 meters just wasn't in when I was testing!)  Now, before everybody starts, THESE TESTS WERE SUBJECTIVE AND STRICTLY BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OPERSATING HABITS USING A WINDOM AND A TRIBANDER!  So, I love the MK V but I don't need and can't justify having two top line radios in the shack ... I don't get to operate that much!  (I hate it when work gets in the way of my hobby!)

Sorry you had probs with the Orion Eric!  Being on the first floor or in a basement makes a difference when you have RF and electrical grounding issues.  You'll like the MK V as I did and it is an awsome radio ... as long as the FP29 holds up!

'Nuff said.

73 and Happy Holidays to all!

Mike W9MWS
Fort Wayne, IN

PS:  MK V, absolutly pristine condition, all optional filters (5 of them), goldline mic and cables, SP-8 powered speaker, original manuals plus the service manual, all original accessories and boxes + a partially restored FP-29 for a spare (I don't have time to finish it).  $3700 invested.  Email me off list if you are interested or know someone who is.

In a message dated 12/21/2004 5:33:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e at yahoo.com> writes:

>Eric,
>
>Your story is very interesting!
>
>I am another Orion user who has mixed feelings about a
>rig that has a little too much "personality", despite
>some excellent specs.  <SNIP><SNIP>  Martin
>AA6E
<snip><snip>
>--- Eric SENSI <eric.sensi at skynet.be> wrote:
>
>> Here comes the boring man, again... :-)
>>
>> No, chill out, this time I will not shoot anyone.
>>
>> Just an info I'd like to share and nothing else. No
>> conclusions should be
>> made after this.
>>
>> As I can't keep my second Tentec Orion from being
>> stressed with some RFI
>> and/or ground loops problems
<snip><snip>
>> So, the Orion has been sold last week.