[TenTec] Orion and SSB

Robert Carroll rlcarroll at patmedia.net
Thu Dec 23 20:22:02 EST 2004

Hi, Tom-

The outcome here has been looking up.  After the last firmware load the
receiver was definitely a better performer but I still had horrendously
timed rx and sub rx failures--usually when calling the VU4 or some nice 160m
DX.  By the time I would get things running again the dx had gone.

Finally the subreceiver started to fail in "noisy" mode.  It actually
sounded like it was alive but there were no signals--and the band like noise
was fake, because if you disconnected the antenna the noise on the main rx
disappeared but the sub rx still had the noise--which at times could sound
like ignition noise, thermal noise, or an old motorboating 1930's antique
with dried out bypasses.  TenTec decided this was a hardware fault and sent
me a replacement though used board.  This cured the noisy failure but the
"silent failure" for both receivers and loss of transmit and some other
truly bizarre failures occurred.  Ten Tec called and said the Astron 35
supply I happened to be using often had a faulty connection between the
negative lead and metal and suggested I change supplies.  I moved to an
Astron 70A unit and the situation seemed marginally improved, but again I
had failures--of course at crucial times.  I had already put ferrite on the
lead to the amp relay as I had seen some mail saying several people had
found this crucial.  Still the failures.  So I put ferrite on everything
coming into the Orion including the data port.  I also moved a WiFi
router/amp which was nearby.  Since then it has not failed in any way--and
this is over a four day period.  This was unheard of for me.  So, I am not
sure just what I did that helped, or even for sure that it won't sink back
into the former condition tomorrow, but I am greatly encouraged.  To top it
off I managed to work the VU4 this AM.  A nice Christmas present.

My son-in-law and daughter just got back form a few days in Atlanta and
bought a house while they were there.  I guess I better accelerate my pace
of getting this place ready to sell.

'73 and Happy Holidays
Bob W2WG