[TenTec] Orion and SSB

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Dec 24 05:57:04 EST 2004

You know, Ten-Tec told us for years there wasn't going to ever be an Omni
VII.

Perhaps they'll build the radio you just described, Meir, and call it an
Omni VIII.

I think there are many of us who would rather see just one receiver and no
band scope.  However I must disagree with you on the SDR bit, Meir.  Once
you get used to using its multitude of features, it's sure frustrating going
back to a non-SDR radio.

The nicest side effect of building a simpler box is that the overall code
won't be so complex and perhaps they can get it "nearly bug-free" more
quickly.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of WF2U
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 7:16 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion and SSB

I love my Omni-C, corsair and the Omni VI Opt.3. Either one beats the pants
off the Icom IC-756 in weak signal work, and the Corsair and Omni VI are
great when conditions are really tough with weak signals in the holes
between strong signals...

The Orion would be attractive and I would consider buying one if:
1. It didn't have that silly sub receiver, for general coverage which is
inferior to the "main", ham band only receiver.
   (for general coverage, I can use any general coverage receiver and
wouldn't do SWL'ing on my main transceiver anyway...)

2. It didn't have that silly spectrum display (I never used it on the Icom
756 either, it was useless there too...)

   I just won't spend the money on these - to me - useless things.

   I think T-T could sell a ham-band only version of the Orion design,
without the spectrum display, with full functionality
   as a great contesting/weak signal rig, for a much more attractive price.
The software would be much simpler as well.
   It'd be like a new generation Omni VI...

   The software problems I hear about constantly don't bother me, it'd be
straightened out eventually, with enough input
   from users. One thing I'm weary about is that in many SDR radios the
software and processing tries to mask the
   shortcomings of the poor RF design. I'm not saying it's an Orion thing, I
think the RF design is fairly sound (used to
   make my living as an EE) but give me the good solid bread and butter
HDR - "hardware defined radio" ;-)  with some
   software control options and that's what I'm happy with (oh, this sounds
like the Omni VI...).

   My 2 cents' worth into the fray.

   73 and best holiday wishes to all,

   Meir WF2U