[TenTec] Contest Data and Conclusions

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 24 09:28:46 EST 2004

W4BQF:
 >Of course I don't know about 'all' Orion's, but I was sent a spare
unit to evaluate and it performed the same way. My Orion's didn't
suffer 'nosebleed' due to any way I operate it. High speed QSK was
not an option because as you know, until a firmware update, the
Orion would not even key over 40 wpm..but that's pretty well fixed
now and it does work 'ok' up to about 60 wpm. For the high speed
stuff my Omni 6's seem to do good up to their limit. And besides
Bill, how many contest have you ever heard anyone running 100 wpm ?

         My question was:

"do all Orion - Titan 3's eshibit the problem you had?"

If yes, then there is a generic problem which **SHOULD** be
addressed by Ten-Tec.  If no, then there is something unique
to your application causing your unique problem.  If the latter,
I'm not sure it is Ten-Tec's problem to solve unique user
problems.  They should certainly try to help, as I'm
sure they have (i.e. your loaner unit), but being in
business to make a profit, I doubt they can hand-hold
every unique problem that comes their way.  Do you think
one of the 3 majors would have sent you a loaner to test?
I frankly doubt it.  It seems to me Ten-Tec has gone out
of their way to help you resolve your problem.  Having
failed, I think you did the right thing to move on, but
don't now blame Ten-Tec because they couldn't solve your
unique problem.

         Merry Christmas to you and your family, everyone on
the reflector and to everyone at Ten-Tec!

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV