[TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 17:55:58 EST 2004

>I tried this with a friend of mine this morning, he didn't notice anything
>strange in the CW enveloppe. Now, he was listening to me with an SGC 2020
>with ADSP2 and a Yaesu FT-7B ! :-) Of course these rigs are not in the same
>class as the MArk V, so I can't tell exactly.

A sophisticated rig is not necessary, or even desirable for listening to
the quality of a transmitted signal. The most basic receiver, with the
monitored signal attenuated sufficiently, and no AGC, is the best.  A
direct conversion receiver using a real clean local oscillator and no
amplifiers or filters, except in audio stages, is the way to listen for
TX signal quality locally.