[TenTec] Orion Threshold and RF Gain Settings

Barry N1EU n1eu at netscape.net
Tue Dec 28 10:54:49 EST 2004

Lee Crocker <w9oy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>So what's the use of the AGC control then?

It was the original implementation of the firmware, before the RF Gain control was reprogrammed to add control of AGC Threshold.  The only thing you can't control with the RF Gain knob is the minimum limit of threshold (effective value of AGC Threshold when RF Gain is turned to max), and that's why you need to have the AGC Threshold menu setting quite low (<1uV).

All of the issues you bring up are dealt with with the RF Gain control.  Go ahead and theorize and complicate.  I just turn up "RF Gain" slightly above the level that I start to hear band noise.  This takes into account receiver gain, antenna gain, band condx, phase of the moon, whatever . . .

73,
Barry N1EU

Why not