[TenTec] About the ACOM/Orion

Barry N1EU n1eu at netscape.net
Wed Dec 29 10:31:30 EST 2004

I can't answer all the questions but I use an Acom2000A.  It's an autotuning legal limit (+) amplifier, with extensive microprocessor control.  It monitors a slew of operating parameters and protects against any perceived problems.  I believe the problems being reported have to do with the amplifier sensing the presence of exciter r.f. when it doesn't want to see any r.f. coming from the exciter based on the keying loop handshake, but I might be wrong.

In its favor, its the quietest amp I've ever encountered, fast, will change bands with a single dit, lots of headroom, etc etc.

Barry N1EU