[TenTec] White Paper On Power and Grounding

Martin AA6E msembx-aa6e at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 14:41:11 EST 2004

John,

Can you explain the concern with "reactive current" in
a nutshell?

Any equipment with a non-unity power factor (i.e.,
anything other than a pure resistive load) draws
reactive current -- i.e., the current is somewhat out
of phase with the applied voltage.  A pure C or L
produces a 90 degree phase shift, etc.

I don't see how this has much to do with the question
of grounding and RFI.  Of course you don't want to run
your gear from a circuit that has an air conditioner
or other heavy cyclical load (reactive or not) - but
that's because you don't want the switching transients
or the poor voltage regulation.

Utility companies worry about reactive current,
because it causes ohmic transmission losses without
delivering real power to the load and because it may
degrade network stability, AFAIK.

Am I missing something?  I agree that dedicated
circuits are a good thing, but I don't know about the
reactive angle.  (to coin a phrase)

73, Martin AA6E